Slava Class Guided Missile Cruiser Of Russian Navy-Project 1164 Atlant

Slava Class Guided Missile Cruiser Of Russian Navy-Project 1164 Atlant. Moskva is armed with P-1000 Vulkan AShM missiles, developed in the late 1970s to late 1980s. It is not known which Slava-class cruisers carry P-1000s other than Moskva.

Slava Class Guided Missile Cruiser

The first of the Kara follow-on class was first seen outside the Black Sea in 1983. At first designated BlackCom 1 by Western intelligence, and later known as the Krasina class, these powerful vessels are now known as the Slava class after the original name of the lead ship. Slava class (now Moskva), was laid down at the Nikolayev Shipyard in 1976. Launched in 1979, Slava entered service in 1983 after extensive trials. By 1990 three of the class were in service, with a fourth under construction.

Possibly designed as a less-expensive complement to the massive Kirov class battlecruisers, the Slava class ships are primarily surface action vessels, designated by the Soviets as missile cruisers. These ocean-going warships possess great anti-ship, anti-aircraft and anti-submarine capability. These slava class cruisers were designed to operate in battlegroups and travel over significant ranges.

The hull appears to be an improved Kara type with increased beam and length to accommodate new weapon systems, the larger size also enhancing stability and allowing the radar mast height to be increased. Twin funnels are fitted, venting the exhaust from the gas turbine propulsion system.

Their primary weapons are 16 P-500 Bazalt (SS-N-12 or Sandbox) anti-ship missiles. These missiles have a range of 550 km and carry a 1 000 kg high explosive or warhead or nuclear warhead with a yield of 350 kT.

These warships are fitted with S-300F Fort long-range air defense system (naval version of the S-300). There are 64 launchers with missiles.

The Slava class cruisers are fitted with ten 533 mm torpedo tubes for heavy torpedoes that can be launched against hostile ships and submarines.

There is a landing spot and hangar for a single Ka-27 naval helicopter.

Initially it was believed that at least eight and as many as 20 cruisers were planned, replacing the Kynda and Kresta classes as they retired. However in the early 1990s with the collapse of the Soviet Union the Russian Navy virtually went bankrupt. There were no funds available for such expensive warships. By that time 3 of these warships were operational and 2 more were laid down.

There have been reports that the Slavas were built with large quantities of flammable material, and their damage control systems were poorly designed.

Moskva was in refit through most of the 1990s, returning to become flagship of the Black Sea Fleet. The second unit, Marshal Ustinov, commissioned in 1986, serves with the Northern fleet. It has been in overhaul since the mid-1990s. Overhaul completed in 2016. Varyag (formerly the Chervona Ukraina) was commissioned into the Pacific Fleet in 1989.

Due to limited funding since 1990 it operated at reduced readiness. Its overhaul was completed in 2008. The fourth unit was launched in 1990 as the Admiral Lobov, but was transferred incomplete to the Ukrainian Navy. Renamed Ukraina, it was planned to become the Ukrainian fleet flagship, but was never completed due to limited funding. For a number of years this 4th ship of the class is awaiting for its disposal.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *