China’s provocation at LAC is a clear violation of agreements: India

China’s provocation at LAC is a clear violation of agreements. India on Tuesday said that China engaged in provocative military manoeuvres in the late night of August 29 and August 30 in an attempt to change the status quo in the South Bank area of Pangong Lake, learned citing wionews.

China's provocation at LAC

India on Tuesday said that China engaged in provocative military manoeuvres in the late night of August 29 and August 30 in an attempt to change the status quo in the South Bank area of Pangong Lake. 

In a statement issued by the Ministry of External Affairs informed that “on August 31, even as ground commanders of two sides were in discussions to de-escalate the situation, Chinese troops again engaged in provocative action. Due to timely defensive action, the Indian side was able to prevent these attempts to unilaterally alter the status quo.”

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said that India was able to prevent unilaterally attempts by China to alter the status quo once again after a similar incident had taken place on the intervening night of August 29-30 along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).

Here’s the full statement by the government

As you are aware, India and China have been closely engaged through diplomatic and military channels over the past three months to resolve the situation along the India-China border. It would also be recalled that earlier the two Foreign Ministers and the two Special Representatives had agreed that the situation should be handled in a responsible manner and either side should not take any provocative action or escalate matters and ensure peace and tranquillity as per bilateral agreements and protocol.
 
The Chinese side, however, violated this understanding and engaged in provocative military manoeuvres in the late night of 29th and on 30th August in an attempt to change the status quo in the South Bank area of Pangong Lake. As stated yesterday by the Indian Army, the Indian side responded to these provocative actions and took appropriate defensive measures along the LAC in order to safeguard our interests and defend the territorial integrity.

Furthermore, yesterday on 31st August, even as the ground commanders of the two sides were in discussions to de-escalate the situation, the Chinese troops again engaged in provocative action. Due to the timely defensive action, the Indian side was able to prevent these attempts to unilaterally alter the status quo.
 
The actions and behaviour of the Chinese side since earlier this year along the LAC has been in clear violation of the bilateral agreements and protocols concluded between the two countries to ensure peace and tranquillity on the border. Such actions are also in complete disregard to the understandings reached between the two Foreign Ministers as also the Special Representatives.
 
We have taken up the matter of recent provocative and aggressive actions with the Chinese side through both diplomatic and military channels and have urged them to discipline and control their frontline troops from undertaking such provocative actions.
 
The Indian side is firmly committed to resolving all outstanding issues along the LAC in the Western Sector through peaceful dialogue. In this context, we expect the Chinese side to sincerely abide by the understanding reached earlier and earnestly work with India to resolve the situation and to restore peace and tranquillity in the border areas.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *